Tuesday, January 6, 2009

8 Ways A Law Student Gets Their Cover Letter And Resume In My Garbage

[1] Spell my name or the name of my firm wrong.

[2] Immediately advise that you are irrelevant to my practice. I do criminal defense and Bar work. I don't care that your experience is working in a personal injury firm.

[3] Send a letter from another state and don't specify why you're moving to Miami or when.

[4] Say nothing that indicates you've even taken the time to look at my firms website.

[5] Say nothing about what type of lawyer you want to be. More specifically, you make it clear you're looking for a "job," any job.

[6] You say nothing interesting. You've been on this planet at least 20 years. You must have something interesting to say.

[7] You address the letter to "managing partner." Ever heard of Google?

[8] You lack creativity. I know you're a law student with a grade point average. Begin with something else.

Located in Miami, Florida, Brian Tannebaum practices Bar Admission and Discipline and Criminal Defense. Read his free ebook The Truth About Hiring A Criminal Defense Lawyer. Please visit www.tannebaumweiss.com

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

David V. Lorenzo said...

Great advice as usual Brian.

How would you feel if a law student sent a cover letter with a DVD of him/her doing a professional presentation on his/her skills, knowledge and how they will apply to you firm?

Follow up: How would you feel if this was an email with a link to a personalized (custom for your firm) YouTube Video?

Curious to hear your thoughts.